No products in the cart.
Gaming laptops are becoming increasingly popular in Kenya as more people take up PC gaming. A good gaming laptop can make a world of difference in having an immersive and smooth gaming experience. However, finding the right gaming laptop that fits your budget and needs can be challenging.
In this comprehensive guide, we will look at everything you need to know about choosing the best gaming laptop in Kenya. Here are some of the topics we will cover:
- The top brands for gaming laptops available in the Kenyan market
- Key specifications to look for when buying a gaming laptop
- Where to buy gaming laptops in Kenya, both online and physical stores
- How much gaming laptops cost in Kenya
- Are gaming laptops worth the investment? The pros and cons
- Our final recommendations for the best gaming laptops to buy in Kenya
Whether you are a serious PC gamer or just starting out, this guide will help you find the perfect gaming laptop that meets your requirements and budget.
Let’s get started!
- Top gaming laptop brands in Kenya include Acer, ASUS, MSI, Dell Alienware, Lenovo Legion and HP Omen which offer a range of models.
- Critical specs for gaming laptops include a fast processor like Intel Core i7 or AMD Ryzen 7, RTX/GTX dedicated GPU, 16GB RAM, high refresh rate display and fast SSD storage.
- Gaming laptops can be purchased from leading online stores like Jumia, Kilimall and PigiaMe or physical stores like Compulynx and PC World Business in Nairobi.
- Budget gaming laptops start from Ksh 30,000 but mid-range and premium models cost between Ksh 60,000 to over Ksh 150,000 based on specifications.
- Gaming laptops provide unmatched portable gaming performance but can be expensive. Battery life and noise are some limitations to consider.
Top brands for gaming laptops in Kenya
When looking for a gaming laptop in Kenya, the brand matters a lot. Some laptop brands are well known for making quality gaming rigs optimized for smooth gameplay and performance. Below are some of the top gaming laptop brands available in the Kenyan market:
Acer makes some of the most popular gaming laptops that offer excellent value for money. The Acer Predator Helios 300 is their flagship gaming laptop featuring powerful specs like Intel Core i7 processor, 16GB RAM, overclockable NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 GPU and 144Hz refresh rate display. It provides an exceptional gaming experience at mid-range pricing.
ASUS Republic of Gamers (ROG) series gaming laptops are renowned for their top-notch build quality and high-end specifications. The ASUS ROG Zephyrus G14 is an excellent choice featuring AMD Ryzen 9 processor, 16GB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 Max-Q GPU and 120Hz display. It’s also quite portable at just 1.6kg weight.
MSI has a vast range of gaming laptops under the GS, GE and GL series. The MSI GS75 Stealth is a premium option with Intel Core i7 CPU, 32GB RAM, NVIDIA RTX 2080 Max-Q graphics and an impressive 240Hz refresh rate screen. It offers desktop-level performance in a slim form factor.
Alienware gaming laptops from Dell feature iconic futuristic designs and excellent hardware. The Alienware M15 R3 is a great pick with 10th Gen Intel Core i7 CPU, 16GB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2070 GPU and 300Hz refresh rate display. It balances performance and portability.
Lenovo’s Legion gaming laptops provide powerful specs at relatively affordable prices. The Lenovo Legion 5i is a good mid-range choice featuring Intel Core i7 processor, 16GB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1660 Ti GPU and 120Hz display. It can run the latest games smoothly.
HP Omen gaming laptops are known for their stylish designs and solid performance. The HP Omen 15 is a great option featuring Intel Core i7 CPU, 16GB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 GPU and 144Hz G-sync enabled display. It offers superb gaming visuals and frames.
When choosing a gaming laptop brand, consider factors like budget, hardware specifications, display quality, design/build, heat management and service support. Narrow down to a few options that fit your requirements.
Important specs to look for when buying a gaming laptop
Buying a gaming laptop in Kenya involves more than just picking the coolest-looking machine. You need to consider key specifications that will determine your gaming experience. Here are some of the most important specs to look for in a gaming laptop:
The processor is essentially the brain of a gaming laptop. For ideal gaming performance, look for at least an Intel Core i5 CPU from the latest 10th or 11th generation. For more demanding games, an Intel Core i7 or i9 is recommended. AMD Ryzen 5000 series CPUs are also excellent options.
For competitive esports gaming, consider laptops with Intel Core i9 or AMD Ryzen 9 processors. Avoid low-end CPUs like Intel Core i3 as they will bottleneck the performance.
Graphics Card (GPU)
Dedicated GPUs from NVIDIA or AMD are critical for smooth gaming visuals and high frame rates. NVIDIA GeForce RTX 30 series or AMD Radeon RX 6000 series GPUs deliver the best performance for today’s graphics-intensive games.
Mid-range options like NVIDIA GTX 16 series or AMD RX 5500M series GPUs can run most games at medium settings. Just avoid basic integrated graphics if you want good gaming performance.
Having sufficient RAM is important for quick load times and multitasking while gaming. Aim for at least 8GB RAM, but 16GB is ideal for modern games. For future-proofing, some laptops support upgradable RAM up to 32 or 64GB.
Gaming laptop displays should have a good refresh rate, response times and color reproduction. A 120Hz or 144Hz refresh rate display is recommended for smooth gameplay. Lower response times like 3ms are better.
Look for display resolutions of 1080p Full HD or 1440p QHD+ for crisp visuals. 4K displays are overkill for most, but good for content creators.
Gaming laptops in Kenya need fast storage. Get an SSD rather than a traditional hard drive. NVMe PCIe SSDs deliver blazing speeds and improved load times. Aim for at least 512GB SSD storage, but higher capacities like 1TB are preferred to store your game library.
Some laptops offer dual storage with both a smaller SSD for OS and faster storage, and a high-capacity HDD for other files.
Gaming laptops are notorious for poor battery life since gaming sessions demand a lot of power. However, some new models offer improved battery life up to 6-8 hours for light non-gaming use thanks to NVIDIA’s battery boost technology and efficient components.
Look for batteries with higher Whr ratings (50Whr and above) for longer runtime.
Charging technology like USB-C Power Delivery also helps to quickly charge up when running low on battery.
Considering all these key gaming laptop specs will help narrow down your options and land the perfect gaming rig tailored to your budget and needs. Don’t compromise on the processor, GPU and display if you want a future-proof laptop that will run games smoothly for years.
Where to buy gaming laptops in Kenya
Gaming laptops are in high demand in Kenya, but finding the model you want at the right price can be tricky. Here are some of the best places to buy gaming laptops in Kenya:
Buying gaming laptops online in Kenya has become popular thanks to better availability of models, competitive pricing and doorstep deliveries. Some popular online stores include:
- Buytec.co.ke – Stocks gaming laptops in Kenya from brands like HP, Lenovo, ASUS, Acer, Dell etc. Often runs promotions with discounted prices. Offers free delivery countrywide.
- Kilimall – Good selection of gaming laptops from MSI, ASUS ROG, Acer Predator etc. Features regular flash sales and deals on gaming hardware. Provides free delivery.
- PigiaMe – Affordable deals on gaming laptops from Lenovo Legion, ASUS TUF, Dell G series etc. Allows price negotiation with sellers. Delivery costs extra.
- Masoko by Safaricom – Carries select models from Acer Predator, ASUS ROG and other gaming brands. Competitive pricing with Safaricom Neon loyalty rewards. Provides free same-day delivery in Nairobi.
You can check out some of these major computer stores in Nairobi to browse and buy gaming laptops:
- Compulynx along Tom Mboya Street – Large selection of gaming laptops from ASUS, Acer, MSI, Lenovo Legion etc. Also sells gaming accessories and PCs.
- PC World Business at Sarit Centre – Stocks select gaming laptop models from top brands at competitive rates. Also has gaming monitors and PC components.
- Microcity at Village Market – Good gaming laptop collection including higher-end models from Alienware, Razer etc. Knowledgeable sales staff.
- Laptop Market at Imenti House – Budget gaming laptops from Dell, HP, Acer etc. Decent prices for mid-range models. Also sells gaming desktops.
- GeeWiz Technologies at Viewpark Towers – Premium gaming laptops and desktops. Authorized resellers for brands like Alienware. Expert sales assistance.
Always compare prices across stores, negotiate for discounts, and inspect the laptop thoroughly before purchase. Also check for mouse, headset or gaming bundle offers that provide extra value.
How much do gaming laptops cost in Kenya?
Gaming laptops come in a wide range of prices in Kenya depending on the brand, specifications and features. Here is an overview of the typical cost of gaming laptops locally:
Budget gaming laptops in Kenya (Under Ksh 60,000)
The most affordable gaming laptops cost between Ksh 30,000 to Ksh 60,000 in Kenya. At this price, you can find entry-level gaming machines like:
- Lenovo Ideapad Gaming 3 – Starts around Ksh 45,000 featuring Intel Core i5 CPU, GTX 1650 GPU, 8GB RAM and 256GB SSD.
- HP Pavilion – Available from Ksh 50,000 with AMD Ryzen 5 processor, GTX 1650 graphics, 8GB RAM and 512GB SSD.
- Dell G3 – Starts around Ksh 55,000 with 10th Gen Intel Core i5 CPU, GTX 1650 GPU, 8GB RAM and 256GB SSD + 1TB HDD.
While these budget gaming laptops can run many of the latest games at low to medium settings, they do involve some compromises in performance and build quality.
Mid-range gaming laptops in Kenya (Ksh 60,000 – Ksh 100,000)
The mid-range segment has gaming laptops priced between Ksh 60,000 to Ksh 100,000. Some good options include:
- Acer Nitro 5 – Starts around Ksh 65,000 featuring Intel Core i5 CPU, GTX 1650Ti GPU, 8GB RAM and 256GB SSD.
- Lenovo Legion 5 – Available from Ksh 75,000 with AMD Ryzen 5 CPU, GTX 1660Ti GPU, 8GB RAM and 512GB SSD.
- ASUS TUF Dash F15 – Starts around Ksh 85,000 with Intel Core i5 CPU, RTX 3050 GPU, 8GB RAM and 512GB SSD.
- Dell G15 5515 – Costs around Ksh 95,000 with Ryzen 7 5800H CPU, RTX 3050 Ti GPU, 16GB RAM and 512GB SSD.
Mid-range gaming laptops can smoothly run latest AAA games at medium-high settings with decent frame rates. They offer a good balance of price and performance.
Premium gaming laptops in Kenya (Over Ksh 100,000)
For the best gaming experience, premium gaming laptops cost upwards of Ksh 100,000 in Kenya. Some top options are:
- ASUS ROG Zephyrus G14 – Starts around Ksh 110,000 with Ryzen 9 CPU, RTX 2060 GPU, 16GB RAM and 1TB SSD.
- Acer Predator Triton 300 – Available from Ksh 130,000 powered by Intel Core i7 CPU, RTX 3060 GPU, 16GB RAM, and 512GB SSD.
- MSI GS66 Stealth – Costs approximately Ksh 160,000 featuring Intel Core i7 CPU, RTX 3070 GPU, 32GB RAM and 1TB SSD.
- Razer Blade 15 – Starts at Ksh 180,000 with Intel Core i7 CPU, RTX 3070 GPU, 16GB RAM and 1TB SSD.
These feature-packed gaming rigs can play the latest AAA titles at maximum settings. They offer desktop-like performance in a portable form factor.
Gaming laptop prices in Kenya vary widely based on brand, specs and features. Consider your budget and requirements to find the right balance between price and performance. Buying during sales periods can help score great deals.
Are gaming laptops in Kenya worth it? Pros and cons
Gaming laptops deliver an exceptional on-the-go gaming experience, but are expensive. Are they really worth the cost? Here is an overview of some pros and cons to help decide:
Pros of buying a gaming laptop in Kenya
Powerful performance – Gaming laptops pack desktop-level GPUs and CPUs that can handle demanding games at high settings and frame rates. No compromises needed.
Portability – Unlike bulky desktop setups, gaming laptops can be easily carried around and used anywhere. Enjoy gaming on the move.
All-in-one convenience – Everything you need for immersive gaming is in one portable package including display, keyboard, speakers etc. Minimal cables and clutter.
Premium displays – Gaming laptops feature high refresh rate displays up to 300Hz along with fast response times for smooth, tear-free visuals. Vivid colors and sharpness also enhance gaming graphics.
Advanced cooling – Gaming laptops have aggressive cooling systems with multiple fans, heat pipes and vents to enable sustained performance during extended gaming sessions without thermal throttling.
Future-proof – High-end gaming laptops pack powerful hardware that can play new games for years without the need for an upgrade. Protects your investment.
Exclusive designs – Gaming laptops boast cool futuristic designs with customizable RGB lighting effects that appeal to gamers. Helps them stand out from regular laptops.
Cons of Gaming Laptops in Kenya
Expensive – Gaming laptops are premium priced, with high-end models easily costing over Ksh 150,000. Building a gaming desktop would be cheaper for similar performance.
Bulky and heavy – The top-end laptops need robust cooling systems that add to the overall size and weight. Not as slim and light as ultraportables. Can be tiring to constantly carry around.
Average battery life – The power-hungry hardware and high refresh rate displays mean gaming laptops last just 3-4 hours on a charge for gaming. Need to be plugged in frequently.
Upgrade limitations – While RAM and storage can be upgraded on some laptop models, replacing core components like GPU and CPU is not possible. Limits future upgradability and lifespan compared to desktops.
Noisier – Gaming laptops can get quite noisy when the fans spin fast to cool the components during intense gaming. Not ideal if you game in quiet places.
Gets hot – All that heat being dissipated means the laptop can get hot to touch. Need to take care to avoid blocking vents or overheating during extended use.
On the whole, gaming laptops provide an unmatched on-the-go gaming experience and are worth buying if you want top-tier performance with mobility. But the price and limitations should be factored in before deciding.